outside the box




  Blog Action Day 2008

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

this is a mirror post or simultaneous post to my other blog twisted thoughts

Today marks the day of a special event in the history of the blogworld. The purpose of Blog Action Day is to create a discussion. Bloggers are asked to take a single day out of their schedule and focus it on an important issue. Last year's topic was The Environment. This year we focus on the mammoth issue of global Poverty.

Growing up, we were taught that we live in a third world country. And there are limits to what we can do and what we can get. I've always been a big dreamer when I was young and I always wanted to prove the grown ups wrong that we can only do as much. I also used to be a strong believer with the statement Kung hindi ka kikilos ngayon, kelan pa? ("If you won't act now, then when?")

Here are the facts:

The map of the world with classifications:


First (blue), Second (red), and the Third World (green) countries during the Cold War era. Does not necessarily represent a current world view.


But according to the list of third world countries, the Philippines is not included in terms of Political Rights and Civil Liberties, Gross National Income (GNI), Human Development, Poverty and Press Freedom.

There are 50 countries listed in the United Nations comparative analysis of poverty, 34 African countries, 10 Asian countries, 5 Pacific Island Nations and one Caribbean nation.

The 10 Asian third world countries are: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Laos, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Timor-Leste and Yemen.

And just recently have I encountered the term fourth world, and these are nations without states. But that's another story.

I guess, now that I have passed the age of idealism, agitated adolescence with radical actions, adding that i went through a personal dark age of my life.. time killed the passion. I remain in support and still believe the causes of course, but not as active as before.

Now joining the blog action day reminds me that time is really an issue with the long battle against poverty and change. One random act of kindness per person, when accumulated, creates change.

So I leave a question for everyone, if we won't act now, when will you? When?

[mirror post here]


~*~*~

atomicvelvetsigh drank tea with Pandora @ 1:24 AM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



me. i. ich. εγώ. moi. ik. ako.

...yup, the other side of the moon. too much dementia kills. so here's something that concerns what i like, news, abuse and stuff people send me, or stuff that i borrow from them.

floating at sea, your waves carried me...
about the template >




eharmony contatore visite website counters



.:search:.

Google
the web
this blog


.:sponsors:.



Your Ad Here


.:featured blog:.



.:bibble babble:.

° box full of moogie goodies
° A blogger's Nightmare!
° On October 15: Be Part of the Blog Action Day 2008!
° some more boring stuff about me...
° Are you a jet setter or simply somebody who loves ...
° see? i knew it!
° can you bear more of velvet?
° (dropbox meme) subject: dreams do come true..
° I like surveys!
° big bang of blogs



.:my creations:.

° Photo Frames Experiment
° Earth Hour Participant Badge
° Blog Banners
° Blog Action Day Badges
° Logo for BlogExplosion


°.°
Go BACK INSIDE the BOX

°.°



Grab this Badge!

.:shout box:.

My Blog Directory

woeeha!!! rotflmao!


.:other boxes:.






Hop on the Peace Train!


list of cool links

.:blogs against torture:.

Torture Awareness Month
Join The Anti-Torture Coalition!
Join The Anti-Torture Coalition!




.:traffic brought to you by:.

since 04.18.09


listed @ Keyword Directory


.:dropbox:.

 send email
pictures and views now open for collection. send anything to my dropbox. and if i like it, i'll post it.

.:credits:.

designed by Velvet ©
dreamweaver codes from blogskins

Powered by Blogger

hits the harry! far out!